It is the reverse of the flag of Ghana.
|Adopted||1st March 1961|
|Design||A green-gold-red vertical tricolour.|
The first flag in the area was that of the Wassoulou Empire that ruled between 1878 and 1880, it featured a blue, light blue and white tricolour with red triangle in the left hand side that featured a white seven-pointed star in the centre.
When French colonised the area in 1880 and it became part of French West Africa the blue-white-red vertical tricolour was adopted.
When the area was renamed French Sudan in 1890 the flag remained the French tricolour. For a year in 1958 the area became an autonomous French Colony and the Kanaga, a human stick figure, was placed in the white band of the French Tricolour.
When Mali gained full independence in 1959 the design of a vertical tricolour with the Kanaga remained but Pan-African colours were adopted. The flag was now green-yellow-red. In 1961 the Kanaga was removed.
The Seal of Mali
In 1961 a seal was chosen to represent an independent Mali, it featured a red green-bordered circle inside of which is a rising sun, bow and arrows and a castle with a dove flying above. In the green border is “REPUBLIC OF MALI” above and “ONE PEOPLE, ONE GOAL, ONE FAITH” below. The seal was changed in 1973. The green border was removed and the background became blue.