Virgin Islands UK
All of our printed British Virgin Islands flags are made by a process called Dye Sublimation. This process impregnates the fibres of the fabric, the result is a flag that has very accurate colour, and importantly the design appears clearly on both sides of the flag. This is known as ‘printed through to reverse’ and is an important consideration when choosing your flag as both sides will be seen when flying.
In 1625 the Virgin Islands was under Dutch control. The flag of the colony was the red-white-blue horizontal tricolour of the Dutch West India Company. In 1680 the area became under British control and the Union Flag was adopted.
The Virgin Islands was grouped together with other British colonies to create the British Leeward Islands in 1833. The flag for the group was a British Blue Ensign with a badge featuring a boat between two islands and a large pineapple.
In 1956 the British Leeward Islands was dissolved. The British Virgin Islands gained a British Blue Ensign with a green badge Represents St, Ursula and her 11,000 virgin follower’s lamps. In 1960 the arms were officially granted and a banner with the motto “VIGILANTE” was added.
The Coat of Arms of the British Virgin Islands
The Coat of Arms of the British Virgin Islands was officially granted in 1960. It features a green shield with a representation of Saint Ursula and twelve lamps. Underneath is a banner stating “VIGILANTE”.
The Flag of the Governor of the British Virgin Islands
The Flag of the Governor of the British Virgin Islands is a Union Flag defaced by a laurel bordered white disc and coat of arms.
The Civil Ensign of the British Virgin Islands
The Civil Ensign of the British Virgin Islands was adopted in 1960. It is a British Red Ensign with the coat of arms centre right. The flag is used by merchant ships.
The Flag of the United States Virgin Islands
From 1921 Part of the Virgin Islands is under American control. The flag in this area features a white field with gold eagle holding a branch and arrows surrounded by the letters “V I”.