Our Alderney flags are made in the traditional 2:1 ratio used for National flags in the UK so this flag will match others of the same size if you are flying several flags together. We use a MOD grade Knitted Polyester which has been tested for its durability and suitability for production of flags.
It is said that the King Edward VII approved the current St. George’s cross with coat of arms in 1906 at the same time was Guernsey’s flag was created. However it is most likely the King gave the authorisation for the coat of arms to be used in the flag of the lieutenant governors and it was mistaken that the flag could be used for the whole of Alderney. During World War Two Alderney was evacuated and became the only part of British Commonwealth to be occupied by Nazi Germany.
At the end of World War Two the Alderney residents returned and they continued to use the ‘unofficial’ flag of Alderney. It wasn’t until the 1993 sanction for the Alderney Arms and in 2007 the ministry of Defence granted a blue Ensign with Union Jack in the top left hand corner and Coat of Arms in the Centre.
The Coat of Arms of Alderney
The Coat of Arms of Alderney features a golden lion holding a small branch of a plant on a green shield. It is also seen with a golden border on the Flag of Alderney
The Governors Flag of Alderney
The Governors Flag of Alderney is the same as the Flag of Alderney.